Wednesday 9 February 2011

Beech Tree in February


I look through the year long leaf,
This time auburn brown and will be
Until the spring comes and new ones
Appear in a silky green
That isn’t pretend but should be
For all it’s perfect crispness.
I want just this once to see what
It looks like from above
To see what I look like when I’m not down here.
It’s easy to climb all the way to the top.
I’ve seen Dad do it before.
He used a ladder but I don’t need to.
You see I’m not taking anything away
Like he was. I’m only going up to see
What I’m missing by being me.

I swing myself up first like my brother always told me.
Get some momentum, not too much and then
Your footing comes next and suddenly you’ve begun.
It only gets easier from then on in as you pull your feet
Up after your body and find footing to reach on from.
It doesn’t take long, you’d be surprised
Maybe a minute and a bit but less than two.
Here I am at the top and I can see
Everything.
I can see you easily and out past to the other trees.
The ones that aren’t captured but are free to grow
Together on the ridge above the sheep field.
They look dirty somehow and not as pretty.
They don’t have coverings of their own yet
But are half drowned in parasitic leaves of ivy.

The houses look small and the people inconsequential
Just as you are I suppose.
I am unsure of how long it will take to get down
Of how long until you will peep and peer
Through the window or call out the door.
I don’t want to be discovered here.
Just as you don’t want me to understand.
But I know it will not be the same to know
What is up here. To pretend like before.
 I will keep it to myself this new revelation.
Just as the hawk keeps private it’s elation.
Happy not to share the airborne secrets
With any more than is strictly necessary.
Because now it has gone on too long for me
To admit that you didn’t know anything at all.

1 comment: