Tuesday 8 February 2011

General Dreaming:




I wonder what I am doing here,
With this palace so very near.
The glittering spires and rigid white,
A hidden jewel of nearly night.
To go, to go,
But, oh, to know.
If my purpose is true and great.
If for me these people wait.
I could be a sworn in Queen,
A ringmaster, a General, long and lean,
In those breeches and fancy coats,
Firing arrows over castle moats.
Yes, that’s who I’ll be a General fierce,
My voice will thunder, my eyes will pierce.
Fear and respect will be my reward,
As I set out to bind that accord,
From our enemies brave and bright,
Wonderous and cowering at our might,
Then home I’ll ride, two days hard going.
My dehydrated consciousness toing and froing.
A heroes welcome for my near expired self.
A bed, a nurse and rest back to health.
Then a ceremony, medals, a party that’s wild.
Dancing with men who are excited and riled.
Then, at the end one who’s gentle,
A brave and cunning and handsome Sentinel.
Months will pass and we will marry,
We plan a child, we will call him Harry.
And then I’ll be both Mother and Wife,
No longer the solver of our Kingdom’s strife.
I’ll wonder if maybe it was all a dream,
Perhaps after all I am only a Queen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment